Madhumati
Site Admin

Re: Potoler Dorma or stuffed potol

Postby Madhumati on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Radhe Radhe !

Actually it is a quote from Kathamrita :heart:

And i know sweetheart taht u r a professional manjari-chef. :greatest:
laali mere laalan ki, jit dekhoon tit laal,
laali dekhan mai gayee, mai bhee ho gayee LAAAAL !!!!!!

Vishwajeet

Postby Vishwajeet on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:42 am

Rādhe Rādhe & daṇḍavat praṇāṁ!
Madhumati wrote:My dear, NOONE has the time - we have to MAKE time for our Beloveds.
You're right! But Krishna bhakti is a thing in which no amount of time is going to prove sufficient—the heart tends to take up as much working hours as one can devote! And in a busy schedule, one has to sacrifice some time dedicated to some other task for a minute of "free time"! Not mentioning the "losses" that occur becoz of unwanted reasons: laziness (biggest daily time loss in my case), emergencies, new requests, disturbances...

Madhumati wrote:we should remember that the way to Shyam's heart is thru his tummy :drool: he's such a peToo
Ya, I know your mom's siddhānt! :-D It's true one needs to practice cooking newer & newer things for mind & body to adapt to the seva. That only brings expertise & excellence! This is true for all kinds of sevas & even mundane tasks. And Shyam's heart you're getting closer through His devotees' hearts (& of course tummies) sevā—sukīrtanaṁ, guhyaṁ ākhyāti pṛicchati, bhuṅkte bhojayate... Really that's why you're so rich in sevā! :-D

Madhumati wrote:Thakur had said - "Hold on to the material world with one hand, and to Him with the other one - and as much as possible - hold on to Him with BOTH hands" So get let's get on buddy !

Thanks for the excellent teaching! Where you found this verse? Is this a version of one-line-gitā-sār? :-D
mahat-kripā vinu kona karme bhakti naya|
Kṛiṣhṇa-bhakti dūre rāhu, samsāra nahi kṣhaya||

Madhumati
Site Admin

Postby Madhumati on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Radhe Radhe !

Rarely people get so much time & devotion to do SO MUCH for them!

My dear, NOONE has the time - we have to MAKE time for our Beloveds. :cool:

we should remember that the way to Shyam's heart is thru his tummy :drool: he's such a peToo :razz:
Thakur had said - "Hold on to the material world with one hand, and to Him with the other one - and as much as possible - hold on to Him with BOTH hands" So get let's get on buddy ! :yay:

:hug:

Vishwajeet

Postby Vishwajeet on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 am

LOVELY!!! Sweet hard work with flowers—your stitching skills works excellent for flowers as well! :-) Rarely people get so much time & devotion to do SO MUCH for them! Seeing your sweet sevas, my heart yearns to do the same! :-D

Ya, I know fried karela seeds are also very nutty! All glories to your Hari-bhakti-vilās!

Madhumati
Site Admin

Postby Madhumati on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Radhe Radhe -
guess what? On Phool Bangla,i replaced the potols with karelas. reast of it was the same. The result was too fantastic. After this noone will want to eat potols - all fell so much fo rthe karelas :o After deseeding them, i washed the pulp out from the seeds, mixed a dash of salt and turmeric to them, and deep fried them. they tasted like nuts. And the devotees too went nuts !!

DH liked it so much that on monday itself, he landed with 1 kilo - really i kilo !! of the tenderest and small size karelas. small size ones are good for frying - so they are better. :biggrin:

Madhumati
Site Admin

Postby Madhumati on Tue May 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Radhe Radhe

i hv a knitting needle kept specially for this purpose. i keep it along with the knives and spoons in the cutlery stand. i don't use it for knitting at all. some devotees use the end of a teaspoon. i tried it this time - it works fine ! :poss:

i know u r an :wow: cook !

Vishwajeet

Postby Vishwajeet on Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Madhumati wrote:Now you take a knitting needle.

The needle would need to be cleansed properly before use...OK no problem!
Madhumati wrote:i recently made dormas using the stuffing meant for karela - my siddha swarip nearly got activated.

That's what should be the effect of true prasādam! :great: These days I'm not able to get to even 10% of its standard... :sad:

Madhumati
Site Admin

Postby Madhumati on Tue May 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Radhe Radhe !! Excellent question !

first you snip off the tips little bit - how u see in the second pic. Then, with the tip of a peeler you make little dents /scoop out a little bit from the ends. Now you take a knitting needle. YOu push the head of hte needle through the dent you made at one end. Keep pushing till it emerges out from the other end. Then just push out hte seeds vigorously.

YOu should try the stuffing i gave for karela also. :biggrin: i recently made dormas using the stuffing meant for karela - my siddha swarip nearly got activated. :wink:

Vishwajeet

Postby Vishwajeet on Tue May 25, 2010 6:20 pm

In Lucknow these are sold mostly from April to end of autumn. After karelā, this is the commonest sabzī I cook! :-D But your way of preparing & cooking is UNIQUE! :drool: I think you Bengalis know how to mix up sugar, nuts, raisins, paneer... in almost every sabzī out there...BTW, how would you scoop the inside of parwals? These aren't like boiled potatoes!

Madhumati
Site Admin

Potoler Dorma or stuffed potol

Postby Madhumati on Tue May 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Radhe Radhe !!

As soon as those green veggetables called potol appeared in the market, we Bengalis fell on them - smothered them - kissed them !! :kiss: Potol or Parwalis a delicacy that is counted amongst the aristocratic vegetables, something you can make in a wedding.

i am pretty sure that my Radha-Gobindaji loves Potoler Dorma - otherwise why should a veggie seller holler out to Shuk, and give me one kilo of the freshest greenest juiciest variety for just 15 Rupees? :dream: So here we go..............

Potoler Dorma

Ingredients:

Item Unit Quantity
Potol Pcs. 16

For Stuffing
Paneer Gm 400
Raisins Gm 20
Broken cashewnuts Gm 30
turmeric powder Gm 5
Jeera powder Gm 5
Salt Gm to taste
chilly powder Gm 5
Sugar Gm 5

For Gravy

Curd Gm 200
Chilly Powder Gm 5
ginger paste Gm 20
salt to taste
turmeric powder Gm 5
Bay leaves No. 2-3
sugar Gm 5
garam masala Gm 3
Oil Ml 250

Method:

1. Peel the potols in the manner shown above. Cut the tips, Then Scoop the insides of the potol, deep fry and keep it aside.
2. For stuffing:- Take grated paneer, mix in sugar, salt, raisins, cashewnuts, jeera powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Stir in refined oil for 5 minutes and stuff this stuffing in the fried potol.

3. For Gravy: - Take a kadai, heat oil, add garam masala, fry till golden brown, then add ginger paste, chilly powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt and plain curd. mix well and add little water, then put the stuffed potol, stir slowly and cook for 10 minutes and serve hot. You can add the inside portions - the seeds etc. in the gravy while cooking. It makes the gravy thick and tasty.

It is a royal dish that your deities will surely love !! :biggrin:

Return to Recipes for Lord Gouranga's relish