This is an input by V'jeet's mom -
Gojha/ Daal pittha is very healthy & low calorie food. Gojha is made on the occasion of famous bhojpuria festival Bhai dooj (godhan).
Cuisine - Bhojpuri
Cooking Method - Steam
Makes for 5 persons
IngredientsAt a glance
* Wheat flour-1 and 1/2 cup
* Gram (chana) daal-1 cup (soaked in water for at least 3 to 4 hours)
* Green chilly-2-3-finally chopped
* Ginger paste-2 tea spoon
* Cumin seed -1/2 tea spoon
* Black pepper powder-1/3 tea spoon
* Turmeric powder-1/2 tea spoon
* Pure ghee or butter -2 table spoon
* Salt -to taste
* Curry leaves--9-10 leaves
* Mustard seed-1 tea spoon
* Coriander leaves-1/2 table spoon chopped
* Asafoetida(heeng)-a pinch of
* Chat masala-1 teaspoon
1. Coarse grind gram daal and mix turmaric powder,ginger paste, salt, green chilly, asafoetida (heeng), chopped coriander leaves,make mixture to ready for filling.
2. Mix 1 table spoon of ghee ,little salt to the flour and knead well with water as poori dough.
3. Divide dough into 7 to 8 parts and roll into thick poories
4. Put a little gram daal (pulse) mixture in each poori ,fold and press two edges together to stick nicely .
5. Boil water in heavy pot (degchi or kadahi/vessel) put little cooking oil in water.
6. Put all the stuffed pitthas in boiling water, cook for 10 minutes
7. Take out all pitthas then cool it and cut into desired slice .
8. For garnishing, heat kadahi and put 1 table spoon of ghee add mustard seeds curry leaves green chilly then add all pittha slice and fry for 2 minutes .then sprinkle chat masala on it.
9.Please serve Daal pittha to your Deities accompanied by green chutney,or red chilly pickle.
How to make chaat masala
Red chillies - 1/2 cup
Dhania (coriander seeds) - 1/4 cup
Rock salt (powder separately) - 1/4 cup
Kala Namak - 2 tbsp
Dry mango powder or Pomegranate Seeds - 4 tbsp
Cardamom - 15
Cinnamon - 10 pieces
Cloves - 15
Black pepper - 1 tbsp
1. Dry red chillies,dhania and garam masala spices under hot sun.
2. Pound to fine powder and mix other ingredients.
(Powdered fry mint leaves can also be included if liked).
* Instead of wheat flour we can use rice flour also.
* For filling in place of gram daal (pulse) we can use sprouts.