Radhe Radhe !
Who discovered louki or the bottle gourd ? No marks for answering that one - Swami Ramdev of course ! Whoever had heard of this humble veggie in pre-Ramdev Baba days ? Naah ! And now if you don't drink louki juice, you are simply not "happening" !! However, i am proud to declare that we Bengalis used to offer gourd, lock-stock-and barrel since the beginning of time. We made bhajiyas of its flowers, curried its leaves and tendrils, smashed it up in chana dal, kofta-ed it, pakora-ed it, halwa-ed it.......so you won't be amazed when you know we can offer mouth-watering dish out of its peel too !
Bottle Gourd skin - finely chopped (3 Bottle Gourd skins)
Pumpkin - sliced (1 smal bowl)
Thinly sliced potaoes - 1 potao
A handful of bodis
Kalojeera/Kalonji- 1 tsp
Whole dry red chilli-2
Green Chillies - 4
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Mustard paste - 2 tsp
Grated Coconut - 2-3 tbsp
Coriander leaves - finely chopped.
Oil - 2tbsp
1. Finely chop the skin of bottle gourd
2. Steam the chopped skin after adding a pinch of salt
3. Drain the water and keep aside.
4. Fry rhe bodis and keep aside.
5. Fry rhe potato slices and keep aside.
6. In a wok, pour some oil and season with Kalo jeera, Whole dry red chillies (2), green chillies (2-3)
7. Add the sliced pumpkin and cook till par cooked.
8. Add the steamed and water-drained chopped skin of bottle gourd, and potatoes.
9. Add salt, sugar and turmeric powder
10. Cook on medium flame for around 7-10 minutes or till the veggies are fried
11 Add the mustard paste followed by grated coconut. Mix well
12. Before switching off the flame, garnish with crushed fried bodis, chopped coriander leaves and sliced green chillies.
YOu are ready to serve your Beloveds Gourd-peel stir-fry with steaming hot rice.