This is a contribution from Gopal Krishna, one of the rare souls whose principles of equality, patriotism & selflessness aim to reach the peaks of excellence! An IIT-K & UIUC aluminus, he wishes to benefit others by contributing these inspirations towards Brahmacharya. In posting this article, there doesn’t seem any need for an intro about what’s the need for Brahmacharya in devotional life…
Greatly Inspiring Brahmacharya Quotes
- 12 years’ unbroken brahmacharya (celibacy) and kundalini awakening
- Perfect brahmacharya (celibacy) and vishuddhi chakra (throat center)
- Kundalini continues to fall down to 3rd or lower chakras due to break of brahmacharya (celibacy)
- Spiritual aspirant must practice brahmacharya (celibacy) for at least 12 years for kundalini awakening
- Have a spiritual attitude towards opposite gender.
- Wake up during brahmamuhurtha.
- Practice brahmacharya (celibacy) at mental level also by using these means.
- Use internet filter – take no risk in the first 12 years of brahmacharya (celibacy) practice.
- Avoid all visual stimulation for lustful sanskara to manifest.
- Regularly read greatly inspiring brahmacharya quotes to strengthen the brahmacharya sanskara (impression of subconscious mind) and resolve whole life.
- Quotes by Swami Sivananda (a Self-Realized sage; the founder of Divine Life Society, Rishikesh)
- Quotes by Swami Vivekananda
- Quotes by Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa
- Quotes by Sri Aurobindo
- Quotes by Jesus Christ
- Quotes by Sri Adi Sankaracharya
- Quotes by Swami Chidananda (a Self-Realized sage; a disciple of Swami Sivananda)
- Quotes by Dadasri (an enlightened sage from Gujarat)
- Quotes from Spiritual Scriptures
- Quotes by Sri Sri Ravishankar (the founder of “The Art of Living” organization)
- Quotes by Mahatma Gandhi
This post is a collection of greatly inspiring brahmacharya(celibacy) quotes which I use for reading of brahmacharya(celibacy) quotes for 10 min everyday just after finishing my early morning yoga-practice (I spend total 20 min for spiritual reading in the morning – 10 min for brahmacharya quotes and 10 min for quotes on meditation and Self-Realization from scriptures like Gita, Upanishads, Yoga Sutra and teachings and life-stories of great sages and I do recommend the same for every serious spiritual aspirant. Why? Because, our mind needs the spiritual food of soul-elevating thoughts daily as much as our body needs daily the material food for its nutrition needs. Err! What are you saying, “I cannot spend 20 min daily for spiritual reading due to lack of time?” Well! You can daily spend 30 min on reading newspaper most of which give useless stuffs which you need not read in full details. So, here is a proposal: instead of spending 30 min on newspaper, spend only 15 min there and use that saved 15 min + 5 min more from your side (total 20 min) for spiritual reading everyday in the morning. At least try this approach: whatever I suggest/write is coming from a battle-hardened veteran – as well as on this truth!) Please Click here to go to quotes section directly, but in case you want to learn more about my quest for Samadhi (and hence, “akhand brahmacharya”/”unbroken celibacy”) and my approach for being in akhand brahmacharya whole life, continue reading below.
Since akhand brahmacharya (unbroken celibacy) for minimum 12 years at-a-stretch is a sine-qua-non (an absolute must) for awakening Kundalini and realizing Self-bliss, every spiritual aspirant needs to use all tricks of mind to achieve this state. Brahmacharya was quite challenging even in old times when there were no glossy newspaper, magazines, television, movies and internet, so what to say of present times. The problem becomes particularly tricky in light of huge bombardment of mind in today’s world with all kinds of lust-exciting images – combine that with mind’s automatic fascination with any intense sense-pleasure and you get a perfect recipe for Action-thriller movie like Spiderman/Rambo playing inside the mind of every spiritual aspirant, where the hero faces overwhelmingly tricky situations and obstacles, which he/she must surmount at all costs to realize the eventual goal of Self-bliss.
We must understand that nature requires a fixed quantum of energy for any major change. For example, water has a tendency to flow downward. If it gets heated, it does not boil unless and until heat energy increases water’s temperature to 100 degree centigrade. And once that happens, water starts boiling and getting converted into vapor. Now, see the contrast between water and vapor: water flows downward, whereas vapor flows upward; water is liquid and visible to eyes, whereas vapor is gaseous and becomes invisible after merging into atmosphere. Exactly the same happen with pranic energy – when it manifests at the level of lust, the tendency of this energy is to move outward and downward, degrading our consciousness level to animal level – this state is comparable to the water state. But, when after gathering pranic energy for (at least) 12 years without any break in celibacy is achieved, the pranic energy manifests at higher levels of creativity and spiritual bliss, moving more inward and upward – compare this state to the vapor state. And compare the 12 years’ practice of unbroken celibacy to gathering enough heat to make water temperature 100 degree centrigade in order to convert it into the vapor state.
Now, the only issue is – in spiritual life, bliss comparable to (in fact, superior to, as per our yogis) lustful pleasure arises after 12 years’ unbroken, continuous celibacy, when kundalini reaches the 5th or higher centers of Vishuddhi/Agya Chakras – of course, once this happens, mind loses all interest in lustful pleasure as one would naturally prefer to enjoy more intense and permanent spiritual bliss over momentary and spiritually degrading lustful pleasure. Thereafter, one becomes firmly established in effortless, natural celibacy. But, till this happens, the mind continues to feel some attraction towards lustful pleasure and is always prone to an unfortunate break in brahmacharya practice – a downfall which makes one start all over again the process of 12 years’ akhand brahamacharya practice.
In fact, the role of brahmacharya is so important that it is proper to understood it with as much clarity as possible. For this, let us have a broad understanding of the science of kundalini:
- Kundalini is the most refined form of vital energy (maha-prana) present in every being. It guides the physical, mental and spiritual evolution of all beings. Its activity is guided by nature in case of all beings except humans. In case of humans, there is freedom to guide the activity of kundalini because with humans conscious evolution through self-effort becomes possible.
- When kundalini resides in the lower 2 chakras (Muladhara and Swadhistana), the mind is primarily tamasic in nature.
- When kundalini resides in the 3rd chakra (manipura – navel center), the mind is tamasic plus rajasic.
- When kundalini resides in the 4th chakra (anahata – heart center), the mind is sattwic plus rajasic.
- When kundalini comes to the 5th chakra (vishuddhi – throat center), the mind is pure sattwic. The 6th chakra (agya) is also pure sattwic. And when kundalini reaches the 7th chakra, mind dissolves into pure consciousness and experience of samadhi (absolute oneness or pure silence) happens.
Brahmacharya is the movement from passion to peace and then, from peace to bliss.
Brahmacharya hai satya ka dwaar.
Isme milta hai anand apaar.
English meaning: Brahmacharya (celibacy) is the gateway to supreme truth: one enjoys infinite bliss through brahmacharya (celibacy).
Brahmacharya tips ( the list is quite comprehensive and immensely practical):
1. Have a spiritual attitude towards opposite gender. Consider every person of opposite gender as mother, sister or daughter (father, brother or son for female aspirants) depending on the age or consider every person as Self or Consciousness. If you are already married and have children, consider the spouse as just a friend, sleep separately and practice complete brahmacharya despite being a family-person – that is a must if you want to have a decent chance for the ultimate spiritual success of Self-Realization or the good-enough spiritual success of kundalini reaching 5th centre (Vishuddhi Chakra).
2. Wake up during brahmamuhurtha. Waking up at 3 am (3 am – 7 am is most suited for reaching more joyous state during yoga practice, as the entire atmosphere is free from thought vibrations and hence peaceful/sattwic, thus naturally deeper and more joyous state of thoughtless awareness – which is 100% peace/sattwa – is realized during this period.”) and doing meditation practice for as many hours as possible. Since lust is a rajasic (passionate) quality, with more increase in sattwa, brahmacharya automatically becomes more easy and natural. Sushumna awakens automatically during this period and kundalini automatically ascends up the spine. Anyone aiming at full celibacy must develop the solid routine of waking up at 3 am and utilizing next 4 hrs (till 7 am) in yoga, meditation and other creative activities like self-study, etc. This alone will solve more than 90% of difficulties one faces in the practice of full celibacy. No wonder, all our true sannyasins wake up at 3 am. Most people find celibacy so hard because they sleep even in this golden period of 3 am to 7 am when the whole nature is supporting the awakening of shushmna, raising up of kundalani and hence, a natural, fast-paced evolution of our awareness. So, this rule is exceptionally important for all sadhaks. For detailed tips on how to develop early morning routine, please read this.
- 10-15 min maha bandha (or uddiyana bandha) continuously. During maha bandha, one can vigorously chant some mantra also and focus the mind on the sound of mantra by trying to listen the sound – then, the effect will be more. (Set up some alarm or timer of 10-15 min so that you can focus 100% on technique.) This will transform the excess energy of lust into intellectual energy by pulling up the nerve currents up the spine towards brain centres, thus giving us more mental powers of thinking, concentration and memory.
- 10-15 min continuous & rigorous chanting of some mantra preferably aloud and if that is not practically possible, then do it mentally. Try to listen to the sound of the mantra throughout the process – that will concentrate the mind on the sound of mantra. (Set up some alarm or timer of 10-15 min so that you can focus 100% on technique.) This will transform the excess energy of lust into intellectual energy by pulling up the nerve currents up the spine towards brain centres, thus giving us more mental powers of thinking, concentration and memory.
- rigorous physical exercises like running fast, jogging, dand-baithak, muscle building exercises, etc. till you feel quite tired. (Excess energy of lust will get spent usefully in physical work then.)
- indulge in your dearest hobbies like music, swimming, dancing, painting, writing blogs/articles, etc. (Excess energy of lust will get spent usefully in enjoying your hobbies then)
- indulge in mental work on most interesting topics (Excess energy of lust will get spent usefully in enjoying the process of learning and development then)
- talk aloud for 10-15 min or so till you become completely exhausted – this talk can be in the form of reading a good book/magazine aloud or practicing oratory skill by giving long lectures on some topics so till you are fully exhausted. (Excess energy of lust will get spent usefully in practice of reading or oratory then. )
- as a last resort, have a cold bath or give up 1-2 meals. Cold bath will cool the nerves and giving up 1-2 meals will reduce the energy level of the body, which is excess right now, making it normal again.
- My guess is above things can be used to channel excess energy of anger also into constructive channels – like I feel great anger on something, I can give lecture for next 10-15 min or so on that issue aloud till I get exhausted or do physical exercises or indulge in hobbies or mental work on interesting areas. Both, lust and anger are excess energy in us which if not given a constructive channel, drag us to the sewer of crudeness and beastliness. But, when they are given a constructive channel, they will get utilized effectively in positive work.
- You should create a very difficult password (so that you cannot bypass the filter) and make any of your friend or email@example.com (ref: to http://www.guardyoureyes.org/?p=24) or firstname.lastname@example.org as the administrator for the filter.
- Additional Note: In case you visit a cyber-cafe, it may not have installed any such filter to earn more money by getting more customers to visit internet for adult content. The best thing for you to do then is to pick a publicly visible place in the cyber-cafe for your internet surfing.
5. Avoid all visual stimulation for lustful sanskara to manifest. Avoid looking at exciting images in books and magazines. All precautions should be taken in first 12 years of brahmacharya practice. After that, so many precautions will not be needed as mind will become strongly embedded with brahmacharya sanskara.
6. Regularly read greatly inspiring brahmacharya quotes to strengthen the brahmacharya sanskara (impression of subconscious mind) and resolve whole life. This will inspire you a lot and intensify your motivation. A low motivation is not enough for brahmacharya practice. Only a fully motivated person succeeds in maintaining unbroken celibacy (“akhand brahmacharya”). One may choose any pattern of reading depending on one’s success level of brahmacharya practice in the past. But, I think spending some time at least once every week is good for every spiritual aspirant till his/her Kundalini reaches Vishuddhi. My personal recommendation for everyone is to spend 20 min every day in the morning on spiritual reading – 10 min on brahmacharya and 10 min on meditation and Self-Realization topics from scriptures like Gita, Upanishads, Patanjali Yoga-Sutra and life-stories of great sages. This is because our mind needs the spiritual food of soul-elevating thoughts daily as much as our body needs daily the material food for its nutrition needs. Meditation and brahmacharya are two wings of spiritual success. One has to achieve perfection in both to realize the ultimate goal of Self-Realization. Perfection of one helps the other. With more growth of brahmacharya practice, meditative experiences become deeper. With deeper meditative experiences, the mind starts remaining in the state of brahmacharya more naturally and much longer. So, both go hand-in-hand and lead us to Self-bliss. Hence, this recommendation of 10 min reading for both of the two on daily basis in the morning itself (because a calm mind in morning will get easily impressed with these strong thoughts of brahmacharya and Self-Realization which, in turn, will substantially speed up our spiritual progress.)
Using two huge sources http://gopalkrishna.mission.googlepages.com/selfControl.htm and http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dftvb2vq_45fbt5rfc7&hl=en and other sites on internet, I collected the following greatly inspiring, brahmacharya quotes for my 10 min reading every day in the morning, just after finishing early morning yoga-practice:
- If you can remain as an Akhanda Brahmachari, an unbroken celibate, for a period of twelve years, you will realize God immediately without any further Sadhana. You will have achieved the goal of life. Mark the word ‘Akhanda’.
- In a narrow sense, Brahmacharya is celibacy. In a broad sense, it is absolute control of all the senses. The door of Nirvana (liberation) or perfection is complete Brahmacharya. Celibacy is to a Yogi what electricity is to an electric bulb. Without celibacy no spiritual progress is possible. It is a potent weapon and shield to wage war against the internal evil forces of lust, anger and greed. It serves as a gateway for the bliss beyond, and opens the door of liberation. It contributes perennial joy and uninterrupted bliss. It is the only key to open the Sushumna (the chief among astral tubes in the human body running inside the spinal column) and awaken the Kundalini (the primordial cosmic energy located in the individual).
- People talk of celibacy; but practical men are rare, indeed. A life of continence is really beset with difficulties. It is easy to tame a tiger or a lion or an elephant. It is easy to play with a cobra. It is easy to walk over the fire. It is easy to uproot the Himalayas. It is easy to get victory in the battlefield. But, it is difficult to eradicate lust. Lack of spiritual Sadhana is the main cause for all sexual attractions. Mere theoretical abstention from sensuality will not bring you good results. You must mercilessly cut off all formalities in social life and lead a pious life. Leniency to internal lower tendencies will land you in the region of suffering. Excuse will not be of use in this respect. You must be sincere in your purpose for the sublime life of spirituality. Half-heartedness will leave you in your old state of misery.
- DANGER OF REACTION
- You will have to be very careful of reaction. The senses that are put under restraint for some months, or for one or two years, become rebellious if you are not always vigilant and careful. They revolt and drag you out when opportunities arise. Some people, who observe celibacy for one or two years, become more passionate and waste the energy considerably in the end. Some people become incorrigible, moral wrecks also.
- You must not labour under the delusion that you have eradicated lust completely by adjusting the diet a bit, by practicing Pranayama, and by doing a little Japa, and that you have nothing more to do. Temptation may overcome you at any moment. Eternal vigilance and rigorous Sadhana are very essential.
- You may be able to stop copulation for months and years, but there should not be any sexual craving or attraction for the opposite sex. The state of mental celibacy must be kept up even amidst temptations and sickness. Then only you are safe. The senses begin to revolt during times of ailment and also when you come in contact with sense-objects.
- Even advanced aspirants who have made great progress in Yoga should be very careful. They should not mix freely with members of opposite gender. They should not foolishly imagine that they have become great adepts in Yoga. A great saint of repute had a downfall. He freely mixed with ladies made lady disciples and allowed them to shampoo his legs. As the sex-energy was not completely sublimated and turned into Ojas, as lust was lurking in a subtle form in his mind, he became a victim. He lost his reputation. The sexual desire was only suppressed in him and when a suitable opportunity came, it again assumed grave form. He had no strength or will-power to resist the temptation. Another great soul who was regarded by his disciples as an Avatara became a Yoga-bhrashta. He also freely mixed with ladies and committed serious crimes. He became a prey to lust. What a sad misfortune! Aspirants climb with great difficulty by the ladder of Yoga and they are irrecoverably lost for ever on account of their carelessness and spiritual pride.
- You cannot attain perfect celibacy by limited effort. Just as a machine-gun is necessary to kill a powerful enemy, so also, constant, rigorous and powerful Sadhana is necessary to annihilate this powerful enemy, lust. You must not be puffed up with pride for your little achievement in celibacy. If you are put to test, you will hopelessly fail. You must be ever conscious of your shortcomings and you must constantly strive to get rid of them. The highest effort is necessary. Then you will have sanguine success in this direction.
- A true Brahmachari in thought, word and deed has wonderful thought-power. He can move the world. If you develop strict celibacy, Vichara Sakti and Dharana Sakti will develop. Vichara Sakti is the power of enquiry. Dharan’a Sakti is the power of grasping and holding the Truth. If a man persistently refuses to yield to his lower nature and remains a strict celibate, the sexual energy is deflected upwards to the brain and is stored up as Ojas Sakti. Thereby the power of the intellect is intensified to a remarkable degree. The intellect becomes sharp and clear by continence. Continence increases infinitely the power of retentive memory. The strict celibate has keen and acute memory even in old age.A man who has the power of Brahmacharya can turn out immense mental, physical and intellectual work. He has a magnetic aura around his face. He can influence people by speaking just a few words or even by his very presence. He can control anger and move the whole world. Look at Mahatma Gandhi! He had acquired this power by constant and careful practice of Ahimsa, Satyam and Brahmacharya—non-violence, truth and celibacy. He influenced the world through this power alone. Through Brahmacharya and Brahmacharya alone can you get physical, mental and spiritual advancement in life.It is worth repeating that a true Brahmachari possesses tremendous energy, a clear brain, gigantic will-power, bold understanding, retentive memory and good Vichara Sakti. Swami Dayananda stopped the carriage of a Maharaja. He broke the sword with his hands. This was due to his power of Brahmacharya. Jesus, Sankara, Jnana Deva and Samarth Ramdas were all Brahmacharins.It is worth repeating that a true Brahmachari possesses tremendous energy, a clear brain, gigantic will-power, bold understanding, retentive memory and good Vichara Sakti.
- Practice of Brahmacharya gives good health, inner strength, peace of mind and long life. It invigorates the mind and the nerves. It helps to conserve physical and mental energy. It augments memory, will force and brain power. It bestows tremendous strength, vigour and vitality. Strength and fortitude are obtained.The eye is the window of the mind. If the mind is pure and calm, the eye also is calm and steady. He who is established in Brahmacharya will have lustrous eyes, a sweet voice and a beautiful complexion.
- More: http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/brahmacharya.htm & http://www.yoga-age.com/modern/brahma.html.
- Power comes to him who observes unbroken Brahmacharya for a period of twelve years. Complete continence gives great intellectual and spiritual power. Controlled desire leads to the highest results. Transform the sexual energy into spiritual energy. The stronger this force, the more can be done with it. Only a powerful current of water can do hydraulic mining.
- Swami Vivekananda attributed his phenomenal mental powers to a lifelong observance of brahmacharya.A few days ago, a new set of the Encyclopedia Britannica had been bought for the Math. Seeing the new shining volumes, the disciple said to Swamiji, “It is almost impossible to read all these books in a single lifetime.” He was unaware that Swamiji had already finished ten volumes and had begun the eleventh.Swamiji: What do you say? Ask me anything you like from these ten volumes, and I will answer you all.The disciple asked in wonder, “Have you read all these books?” Swamiji: Why should I ask you to question me otherwise?Being examined, Swamiji not only reproduced the sense, but at places the very language of the difficult topics selected from each volume. The disciple, astonished, put aside the books, saying, “This is not within human power!”Swamiji: Do you see, simply by the observance of strict Brahmacharya (continence) all learning can be mastered in a very short time — one has an unfailing memory of what one hears or knows but once. It is owing to this want of continence that everything is on the brink of ruin in our country.
- His childhood friend: Whatever you may say, I cannot bring myself to believe in these words. Who can come by that oratorical power of expounding philosophy which you have? Swamiji: You don’t know! That power may come to all. That power comes to him who observes unbroken Brahmacharya for a period of twelve years, with the sole object of realising God I have practiced that kind of Brahmacharya myself, and so a screen has been removed, as it were, from my brain. For that reason, I need not any more think over or prepare myself for any lectures on such a subtle subject as philosophy. Suppose I have to lecture tomorrow; all that I shall speak about will pass tonight before my eyes like so many pictures; and the next day I put into words during my lecture all those things that I saw. So you will understand now that it is not any power which is exclusively my own. Whoever will practice unbroken Brahmacharya for twelve years will surely have it. If you do so, you too will get it. Our Shâstras do not say that only such and such a person will get it and not others!
- The chaste brain has tremendous energy and gigantic will power. Without chastity there can be no spiritual strengthContinence gives wonderful control over mankind.The spiritual leaders of men have been very continent and this is what gave them power.
- I heard him say on his wonderful power of retentive memory in this manner. “If a person can be continent for twelve years, he can have extraordinary memory. One must be celibate and keep his brahmacharya absolutely even in his dream.”
- From Mrs. George Roorbach’s reminiscences of Swami Vivekananda at Camp Taylor, California, in May 1900:“In my first speech in this country, in Chicago, I addressed that audience as ‘Sisters and Brothers of America’, and you know that they all rose to their feet. You may wonder what made them do this, you may wonder if I had some strange power. Let me tell you that I did have a power and this is it — never once in my life did I allow myself to have even one sexual thought. I trained my mind, my thinking, and the powers that man usually uses along that line I put into a higher channel, and it developed a force so strong that nothing could resist it.”
- During the period of sickness, abstain from anger and from lust — even if you are householders.
- This hideous world is Maya. Renounce and be happy. Give up the idea of sex and possessions. There is no other bond. Marriage and sex and money are the only living devils. All earthly love proceeds from the body. No sex, no possessions; as these fall off, the eyes open to spiritual vision. The soul regains its own infinite power.
- Is there any sex-distinction in the Atman (Self)? Out with the differentiation between man and woman—all is Atman! Give up the identification with the body, and stand up!
- Every boy should be trained to practice absolute Brahmacharya and then, and then alone faith and Shraddha will come. Chastity in thought, word and deed always and in all conditions is what is called Brahmacharya. Unchaste imagination is as bad as unchaste action. The Brahmacharin must be pure in thought, word and deed.
- First of all, one must completely mould one’s religious life in solitude, must be perfect in renunciation and must preserve Brahmacharya without a break. The Tamas has entered into you — what of that? Cannot the Tamas be destroyed? It can be done in less than no time!
- What we want are Western science coupled with Vedanta, Brahmacharya as the guiding motto, and also Shraddha and faith in one’s own self.
- Knowledge should be acquired in that way, otherwise by educating yourself in the tol of a Pandit you will be only a human ape all your life. One should live from his very boyhood with one whose character is like a blazing fire and should have before him a living example of the highest teaching. Mere reading that it is a sin to tell a lie will be of no use. Every boy should be trained to practice absolute Brahmacharya, and then, and then only, faith — Shraddha — will come. Otherwise, why will not one who has no Shraddha speak an untruth? In our country, the imparting of knowledge has always been through men of renunciation. Later, the Pandits, by monopolising all knowledge and restricting it to the tols, have only brought the country to the brink of ruin. India had all good prospects so long as Tyagis (men of renunciation) used to impart knowledge.
- But whatever be the order of genesis, the celibate teachers of the Shrutis and Smritis stand on an entirely different platform from the married ones, which is perfect chastity, Brahmacharya.
- Founders of all good undertakings, before they launch on their desired work, must attain to the knowledge of the Atman through rigorous self – discipline. Otherwise defects are bound to occur in their work.
- Our motherland requires for her well-being some of her children to become such pure-souled Brahmacharins and Brahmacharinis.
- Teach the boys the system of Brahmacharya.
- In order to attain to ideal Brahmacharya one has to observe strict rules regarding chastity in the beginning. For minimum 12 years, one should keep oneself strictly aloof from the least association with the opposite gender as far as possible. When spiritual aspirants are established in the ideal of Sannyasa and brahmacharya, they will be able to mix on an equal footing with worldly men without any harm. But in the beginning 12 years, if they do not keep themself within the barriers of strict rules, they will all go wrong.
- People here (in USA) have found a new type of man in me. Even the orthodox are at their wit’s end. And people are now looking up to me with an eye of reverence. Is there a greater strength than that of Brahmacharya — purity, my boy?
- Describing the Indian ideal of Brahmacharya in the student’s life, Swami Vivekananda said: “Brahmacharya should be like a burning fire within the veins!”
- The Sanskrit name for a student, Brahmacharin, is synonymous with the Sanskrit word Kamajit. (One who has full control over his passions.) Our goal of life is Moksha; how can that be ever attained without Brahmacharya or absolute continence? Hence it is imposed upon our boys and youth as an indispensable condition during their studentship. The purpose of life in the West is Bhoga, enjoyment; hence much attention to strict Brahmacharya is not so indispensably necessary with them as it is with us.
- Obedience to the Guru without questioning, and strict observance of Brahmacharya — this is the secret of success.
- In his Raja Yoga, the Swami explains that through brahmacharya sex energy is converted into a higher form of psychic energy called ‘ojas.’(Ojas, literally meaning the ‘illuminating’ or ‘bright’ is the highest form of energy in the human body. In the spiritual aspirant who constantly practises continence and purity, other forms of energy are transmuted into ojas and stored in the brain, expressing as spiritual and intellectual power). He says, “The yogis say that part of the human energy which is expressed as sex energy, in sexual thought, when checked and controlled easily becomes changed into ojas, and as the Muladhara (lowest of the six centers of consciousness) guides these, the yogi pays particular attention to that centre. He tries to take up all his sexual energy and convert it into ojas.
- It is only the chaste man or woman who can make the ojas rise and store it in the brain; that is why chastity has always been considered the highest virtue. A man feels that if he is unchaste, spirituality goes away, he loses mental vigour and moral stamina. That is why in all the religious orders in the world which have produced spiritual giants you always find absolute chastity insisted upon. That is why the monks came into existence, giving up marriage. There must be perfect chastity in thought, word and deed; without it the practice of Raja Yoga is dangerous, and may lead to insanity. If people practise Raja Yoga and at the same time lead an impure life, how can they expect to become yogis?”
- Disciple: Do you think, sir, the same consummation would be reached through the way Mataji is educating her students? These students would soon grow up and get married and would presently shade into the likeness of all other women of the common run. So I think, if these girls might be made to adopt Brahmacharya, then only could they devote their lives to the cause of the country’s progress and attain to the high ideals preached in our sacred books.Swamiji: Yes, everything will come about in time. Such educated men are not yet born in this country, who can keep their girls unmarried without fear of social punishment.
- Sri Ramakrishna was uncompromising on the need for celibacy for God-realization. He used to tell devotees, “To be able to realize God, one must practise absolute continence. Sages like Sukadeva are examples of an ‘urdhvareta’ (a person of unbroken and complete continence). Their chastity was absolutely unbroken.A man practising unbroken brahmacharya for twelve years develops a special power. He grows a new inner nerve called the nerve of memory. Through that nerve he remembers all, he understands all.When a man succeeds in the conservation of his sexual energy, his intellect reflects the image of Brahman. The man who carries this image of Brahman in his heart is able to accomplish everything – he will succeed wonderfully in whatever action he engages himself.%